Saturday 12 November 2016

Week 6: Homework

Cafe Drawing

Unfortunately I missed the lesson on this week's Monday; however I was still able to complete the homework task to practice life drawing outside of class.

We had to go to public places such as around campus, cafes, parks, buses, trains, etc, and make drawings of the people in those places. As people out and about are almost never standing still it makes the task a challenge, but very useful.

As with most tasks, it took me a few attempts to warm up, but once I started drawing I found there were lots of people I could draw. I ended up going out on two separate occasions to complete the task, which was nice because it meant I could go to lots of different locations and see lots of different settings to draw people in. I think that most of my drawings were successful at capturing the busy day to day life of people in public. The mark making is bold and fluid as a result of trying to get down as much information as possible in such a short space of time, which works well for me because if I try to add too much detail I have a tendency to draw from my head instead of from what I can see, and then I overwork things. So with these drawings I am happy that they retained the sense of life and movement that comes with loose sketches.






Something that I do sometimes struggle with with life drawing in this way is that you don't have time to really measure proportions, so a lot of it relies on estimating, based on what your eyes can see. This means that some of my drawings aren't massively accurate. I think this is something that simply comes with time, as you practice skills and eventually it becomes second nature. In any case, sometimes drawings that have an element of distortion or wonkiness can even be more effective than perfect copies, because they have character and charm to them.





This final drawing is a quick sketch I made of my flatmate while she was lying on the bed. It gave me a good opportunity to practice foreshortening outside the class and I think I managed it quite well!

No comments:

Post a Comment