Sunday 26 February 2017

SEMESTER TWO: Week 4 Homework

After the lesson in class where we created composition using collaged textures and cut out shapes, the homework task asked us to create a further piece based on this work. I ended up doing this in my sketchbook to keep all my homework tasks together, which looking back, may have limited me size-wise.

I was cutting our circles of the textures from class to use as examples of what we'd made, when I realised they could work quite well as framing elements for a composition. I then tried layering the circle cut-outs under the animals and figure I had made, and they added a really interesting dynamic to the page. Having multiple circle shapes keeps the composition consistent as well, and draws your eye around the page. The task was to create a piece that had a narrative of its own, and I think I have been successful in this respect. I chose this pose of Mel from class to repeat in this homework, because the pose itself is very emotive and brings a story of its own. Layering the birds around the figure is kind of meant to show a relationship between the two, like possibly she is dreaming or troubled by these animals.

The hardest part of this homework for me was having to draw the animals and Mel only having my class drawings as reference! It made it harder to achieve accuracy as you only had a line drawing or collage to rely on. For this reason I'm not totally happy with my accuracy - however, this homework was more focused on experimentation with composition, so proportion and perspective are not such important factors.


No comments:

Post a Comment