Friday 10 March 2017

SEMESTER TWO: Week 6 Homework

I found this homework extremely challenging as I had also found the class very tough. I find it very hard getting accuracy and proportion correct when the subject is never still!! However, I know that practising this is the only way to improve, so I wanted to attempt the tasks as best I could.

The first two drawings are done from a primary source; I used two of my flatmates doing repeated actions and drew from there. I chose to use pencil, which, while not very adventurous, gave me more confidence as I knew I could always have another go if it went wrong. I am very pleased considering how hard I found the task, with my first drawing. The figure is going from seated to standing, and I think I capture this movement well by keeping my mark making simplistic and directional to carry to action across the page.

The second drawing is perhaps less accurate, but I think there are still elements of success. The figure here is crossing the room to reach into a cupboard. This was a harder sequence to draw, which is why I think the outcome is less strong. Nonetheless, this exercise did give me more confidence and inspiration to keep trying the task and learning from it.



The second half was to draw from a video online, so I chose to draw a tennis player making a serve and then somebody taking a bow. I chose charcoal for the tennis player, which I found a little tougher as I was unable to erase any mistakes, so again the accuracy is not perfect. However, it gave me freedom to be looser with my marks, so the drawings do appear quite energetic and gestural, which I like. I had a few attempts in pencil too. This was an interesting drawing to attempt and I did learn a lot from repeating it a few times.

I think my least successful piece is the bottom one, of the man taking a bow. I was disappointed with this drawing, as when I started the proportions seemed quite accurate, and the poses didn't seem to be too hard to draw as only a few parts of the body were moving. However I think my error with this was choosing to layer the poses directly on top of one another, as this resulted in some getting lost, and the drawing  becoming too complicated and overworked. I think that the colour choices are effective together, in implying movement, and that the idea is good, but I think I need to attempt it again as the execution let it down. Perhaps having the same effect but slightly offsetting the next pose each time would work better, as well as drawing the eye across the page too?



No comments:

Post a Comment