Saturday 25 March 2017

(SEMESTER TWO) Week 8: River Drawing

I missed the river drawing lesson but went back in my own time and completed the tasks in my sketchbook. I chose four contrasting locations so that I could create a varied collection of imagery to represent the diversity of the location. I also chose a variation of mediums to suit this.

I enjoyed this task and found it useful in improving drawing skills as well as observational skills, such as getting into the habit of making thumbnails. It was also useful in working on time management. I think there are varying levels of success levels within the pieces, with my strongest probably being the first two. I'm particularly happy with my tone in the first piece, as it adds depth to the composition, which is aided by the unusual viewpoint I was using for the drawing. I think it is effective at guiding the viewer's eye to the focal point of the three figures at the back of the bridge, who happened to be crossing at my time of drawing, so I was able to scribble down a reference of them. The mark making in my second piece is another point of success in my opinion, as it works well to convey the textures and movement of the scene, such as the rippled water.

The oil pastel piece is probably my least favourite, as I think it looks a little rushed. I wanted to have a range of time limits on the drawings, so this was meant to be a quicker one, but this unfortunately meant I couldn't spend long enough getting the swans accurate, which bothers me about the piece. Not only this, but it looks a little flat, due to the lack of tone. I do quite like how the light has been captured to the rear of the composition, however, so there are areas of success which I feel I could take away from this and work with. I see another successful capturing of light in the final piece, where I feel the limited use of black and white has nicely accentuated the shadows and the atmosphere of the time of day.





No comments:

Post a Comment